~~ In its infancy, around 1828, the now established Grand Restaurant & Tavern began its journey as a boarding house which was later called The Coach & Four. Shortly after, around 1830, Waverly’s first post office was added and managed by a Mr. & Mrs. James Emmitt, who is well known as the first post master of Waverly. During this time, Waverly was undergoing significant change. The Ohio/Erie Canal was making its way through southern Ohio, opening up possibilities that no one ever dreamed of. Madison Hemming, son of Thomas Jefferson, made his way from Virginia to Ohio in 1836 is quoted in saying, “ I also reconstructed the building on the corner of market and water streets from a store to a hotel for Judge Jacob Row. “, during his 1873 infamous interview for the Pike County Republican. This before thought of wife’s tale has actually recently been confirmed by verifying his craftsmanship judged by the intact staircase. In subsequent years, this property has undergone many name changes as well as many owners & forms. Many include, but are not limited to, The Park Hotel ( 1842-1912 ), Waverly Inn ( early 1900’s ), Grand Hotel ( early mid 1900’s ), The Grand Tavern, Hank Butler, owner ( 1940’s—60’s ) ,Robert Fessenden, owner ( Late 1960’s)a barber shop, a store, doctor’s office, bar and NOW…. The Grand Restaurant & Tavern, a fresh seafood eatery.
~Phillip Sager, current owner of The Grand Restaurant & Tavern, born and raised in Waverly, Ohio, currently resides in Ocean City, Maryland. A Master carpenter by trade and a “Master” fisherman by hobby, Phil chooses to spend as much of his free time as possible, on a boat, fishing and exploring, the Chesapeake Bay & its beautiful sounds. One day, while driving through the heart of Waverly, on one of his many trips home, he took notice of a building that lay on the brink of ruin. Phil had been trying for quite some time to find a way, to combine his passions in life, his love of the ocean, talent of his craftsmanship, & loyalties of home. Years of dedication in his trade, had equipped him with the keen ability to see beyond the damaged condition, understand the past beauty and not unlike James Em-mitt, he had a vision for the future of Waverly. Phil purchased the once thriving Grand Hotel in 2005, after it had fallen vic-tim to fire and after 2 years of extensive renovations, preformed by his own hand, he was able to achieve his goals, combine his loves, and in 2007 opened the doors to The Grand Restaurant & Tavern. His goal of bringing a fresh view to his hometown, by way of introducing the secrets of the Chesapeake Bay & weekly trips home from Maryland, to ensure freshness, have been accomplished and is now offered to you here, at The Grand Restaurant & Tavern! We hope that you will enjoy the ideals & effort put forth by Phil, as well as our fresh seafood.
tHE GRAND TAVERN BAR 1940's- 19070'S
THE GRAND HOTEL ( USED AS APARTMENTS, PROIR TO FALLING VICTIM TO FIRE) 2003
AND THE WORK BEGINS....RENOVATIONS & RESTORATION, PREFORMED BY NEW OWNER, pHIL sAGER BEGIN...2005
tHE gRAND restaurant